The Movie Buffer

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Please allow me to re-introduce myself...

Hello, World.

I know it’s been a while since my last post and barring any new life-altering events, I can now make some time to write about films.

The main sticking point of my previous endeavor was I was writing far too frequently about the same kinds of movies and repeating myself. So, I am going to make a concerted effort to step out of my box and see a broader spectrum of films and hopefully, this will lead to some better writing for me and reading for you.

I’ll go back to my very old updating schedule of Wednesday and Saturday (starting this week on Saturday, because I'll be updating everyday this week). Please enjoy the reviews and I promise to mix things up and try to bring you some new stuff when I can.

Check in tomorrow for my take on the media firestorm that is “Young People Fucking”!

____________________

Two Docs about Quacks

Apple trailers recently released teasers for two documentaries about men who have made their names by stirring up controversy in their respective fields.

The first is Gonzo, a Hunter S. Thompson biography, which tries to unravel his weird, wonderful and twisted life. Almost everyone knows Thompson from his two most famous books, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail ’72. The second is Trumbo, the biography of one of the most outspoken of the Hollywood Ten, the McCarthy-era Blacklisted-as-Communist screenwriters. Having written such films as Johnny Got His Gun, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo and Spartacus, Trumbo was a much lauded screen writer prior to his blacklisting. He even won an Oscar, for The Brave One, under a pseudonym after being blacklisted and that Oscar remains the only one never claimed.

Though their battles were disparate, both men loved the idea that they were David to the world’s Goliath. They fought for what they believed in and have become icons. Both films look terrific and if you have a chance to catch them you should.

Gonzo found here:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/gonzo/

Trumbo found here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/trumbo/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home