The Movie Buffer

Thursday, February 02, 2006

T-minus 30 days...

Well, Jan 31st is one of the most interesting days of the year because the Academy Award nominations are announced a month in advance to allow for speculation and hype to build. This year was an excellent year for the Oscars. There were at least 5 great movies and about 10 worth mentioning. Unlike previous years where there are only a couple which allows for substandard performances to garner awards from the Academy. The list is available here: http://oscars.org/78academyawards/noms.html , and I have to say that I am quite happy with what the academy has chosen this year. It’s going to be some race, people. Of course the front runner for most of these awards is going to be “Brokeback Mountain”, which certainly does not deserve the fanfare that it has been enjoying. Yes, I get that they’re gay cowboys, get on with the story, develop the characters or something. The rest of the picks are certainly apt. I have not seen many of the shorts, foreign or the documentaries but over the coming weeks I will find a way to see them and I’ll make my picks as soon as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home